Tuesday, December 14, 2010

If it is this cold, I want to see some snow!

Friday officially marked the first day of the cooooold season in Fier. I woke up but could barely convince myself to get from under the covers in that 35 degree weather! I even returned home at 10am to put on my long-johns (and have yet to take them back off) and grab my hat before heading out to Permet to visit my friend Laura.

You drive a good 30 minutes to get to a base of a hill in Fier. In Permet, you can get to bases of mountains with snow on top after a 10 minute walk. It was cold in Fier, but it was frigid in Permet. Laura has staying warm down though. She knows when and where to put a space heater in a room to make it the right temperature. She utilizes the hot water bottle strategy to get the sheets warm before you climb in and then keep your feet warm all night. She finally has a stove/oven and leaves the door open after baking tasty things. (If only she could heat the outside.)

I returned home (after a non-heated bus ride) inspired! My space heater that emits a ridiculous amount of light is never more than 2 feet from me. My hot water bottle has become my newest snuggle-buddy, though my actual Snuggie is a treasured companion.

Now, I really should stop with this cold talk. I have a heater in my office. Some Volunteers have been building fires in their wood-burning fires for almost 2 months now. Some have snow in their sites and aren't as able to travel. We all live in cement houses without central heating that do not stay warm. And while I had wanted to be in the North in a smaller, more secluded space, I can really see the extra challenges the weather alone would bring a site like that.

Yet, I can look forward to temperatures in the low 50s on Monday. I will bask in the heat!

1 comment: