The last bit of November was just wonderful! Mom and Peter came to visit Albania before we all headed to Athens. Though Athens was fun, the real highlight was the time my family spent in Fier getting to meet the people with whom I spend my Albanian life.
While it was great for my American family to meet my Albanian ones, it was also really important for my Albanian families to meet my American one. I think they feel closer to me as they have a better sense of where I come from. (I returned to work last week with everyone telling me that I have a wonderful family and now they need to meet my dad.) I feel closer to them too, as they showed such wonderful hospitality and kindness to the people I care the most about.
Group photo with the Bashkia
A night with the host family, Thanksgiving in Tirana, one last visit with Bashkia people in Tirana, and a quick flight, we were in Athens! The Acropolis is quite the site (though I think that it looks neater from the base all lit up than actually on top). After four days of good company, good food (including a 4 Euro bottle of Coke Lite for Mom), and good sites, I was back by myself. One overnight bus ride later, and I am back in Albania.
Dinner with the host family
Parthenon
Honestly, I missed it here when I was gone. I like my job, I like my house, I like Fier, and I like my neighbors. I like the life I have built here. I’ve done this before in Pittsburgh (a little in South Africa) and then Atlanta, but it feels much different here. It is for obvious reasons (new culture, new language, being physically farther away than before), but also for more subtle ones. I’m 25 now and put myself solidly in the “adult column” where my life is my own and the decisions I make now really influence the path my life will take in the future. (I have always known this, but I’m starting to really “feel” it.) Mom used to tell me that before I got married, I should live by myself and own something of my own, so I could be independent, think for myself, and trust myself that I could handle many situations. I think living as a Volunteer in a foreign country for 2 years of my life should count toward that!
And now, too, I am back to work! We are submitting a grant for a “one-stop shop” information office at the Bashkia , we had a Volunteer Day activity with a kindergarten for Roma children, and I start my first English course tomorrow with people from the Bashkia. I am still determined to start a “Mommy and Me” class for women here and their young children. I find that many women who do not work have limited social circles, and I think it would be great to have a venue for women to meet and for their babies to interact. Crazily, though, I leave for Turkey in 2.5 weeks and feel I have lots to finish before then.
Volunteer Activity in Kindergarten
P.S. My birthday was wonderful! It started out with a sparkler, flowers, and a present delivered by my neighbors at 12:05am. The Bashkia people put on a nice party for the celebration, and I got to spend time with wonderful sitemates and another Volunteer. I also received many wonderful birthday wishes from the people I love and miss so much from home! Thank you!




I like my name being mentioned at the top of your blog - in order of priority, perhaps?? :)
ReplyDeleteGlad you're doing well Sus, keep posting!
XOXO Tara