Wednesday, February 22, 2012

How time flies! Quotes from early 2010

I'm starting to prepare to return to the USA which includes sorting through all my computer files. I found the following list written in June 2010 but not posted. As we say in both English and Albanian, "Better late than never."

Memorable things I’ve been told/heard/asked:

  • I am so sad you are leaving, but I am so happy to sleep in my bed. –Xhuli, host sister, I got her room for the 10 weeks I lived there. Sorry sweetie!
  • I can tell you this because you are my sister. –Xhuli, I really just love her!
  • I’m searching for my whisper voice. – Matthew during a hilarious game of “telephone” in Albanian language class
  • Suzana eshte goca e keqe. (Susan is a bad girl.) –Eri, host brother, I would respond that Eri is a bad boy, yup-we had that conversation about 4 times per week
  • “______ eshte me i madh se ti. Eshte tamam.” (____ is older than you. It’s a perfect match!) –My host mother who was convinced that I should marry one of the other volunteers; I like how she thinks being older than me is the criteria for a good husband! If only it were that easy!
  • “Takim per cafe apo ne krevat?” (Dates for coffee or dates in a bed?) (Answer: for coffee!) -Host father after I was trying to explain that in America, girls typically date a few boys before getting married. It was an awkward but necessary conversation, and I’m glad I could clear up my meaning.
  • Je beqare? (You are single?) But you are such a beautiful woman! –Klevi, age 12, thanks!... I think
  • It’s not a compliment; it’s the truth.- Co-worker telling me she liked the cinnamon rolls I made
  • It’s raining men, hallelujah. -Co-worker...I think the idiom he was going for was "It's raining cats and dogs."
AnAnd here is my most recent favorite (Feb. 2012):
  • ...and this is why you have no friends. -Armida after a told a friend on the phone that I couldn't have a coffee because I was working.

No comments:

Post a Comment