Thursday, January 5, 2012

Staying warm...or not

So, it is COLD in Albania in January. I know I'm not in one of the coldest sites by any stretch, but that doesn't mean it isn't cold. Plus, being in only a mildly cold place, we are less equipped to deal with it as we don't have wood stoves in every home or classroom. My little electric heater doesn't do much in my rather large house.

I have a few strategies to keep me warm:
  • I now have SmartWool socks to keep my toes warm (Thanks Mom and Cindy!)
  • Bringing the Snuggie was the best packing decision EVER (thanks, Peter, for stuffing it in there last minute)
  • I keep my blow dryer near me so I can blow-dry my fingers from time to time when they get super cold.
  • I bought some finger-less gloves which help.
  • Hot water bottles to sleep with are a time tested method.
  • I head to my neighbor's where more people+more heaters (even a gas one without electricity)+playing cars with Artioli=warmth.
  • On REALLY cold days I sequester myself in my little room off my kitchen, but that is neither fun nor comfortable.
  • On no electricity days (sadly, those happen often in the winter) I sleep under tons of blankets, as I don't know what else to do with myself in the dark and cold. I do, however, refuse to sleep in my sleeping bag...that is meant for sleeping outside only.
Still, I look at my strategies and they are nothing compared to others'. (LD has outlined her very effective ones here.)

On the whole, I don't mind the cold. My main method is the one Amy takes on the West Wing, luxuriating in the cold:
*The focus is on :20-:35, but hey! who doesn't love some additional West Wing footage!

No comments:

Post a Comment