Friday, August 26, 2011

Sisters

I am one of two children, one boy and one girl. I had always liked it that way. Things were even.My brother and I got equal attention from each of our parents. We were able to sit comfortably in any kind of car. I was the little one, too, and let’s admit it-I often got my way. I was (am?) a great whiner. I never had a sister, and I never really felt I needed/wanted one.[1]

And then I met Xhuli…As written about before, I lived with Xhuli’s family for 10 weeks during Pre-Service Training. Xhuli, then 16, and I bonded right away. We practiced English, exercised, played a LOT of cards and Sorry!, got annoyed with each other sometimes, and talked about our lives. She is now 18 and a high school graduate. She has grown up so much, and I am glad to be a part of that process. We refer to each other as sisters, and I feel like that is what we are.

Xhuli leaves for Greece to live for at least the next three months. I am, in one word, devastated.This is partly for selfish reasons because I liked seeing her every 5 weeks and playing cards, going for walks, and having sleepovers in the living room. I liked talking to her on the phone once a week and sending one rings[2]. I am sadder though because she is moving to live with her 28-year old fiancé, a man who says he is still unsure whether he wants to marry her or even loves her. This bright, energetic girl wants to go to university but is not being allowed the opportunity. Her engagement at 15 is keeping her from so much that she wants.

There is much more to this story, but the details are hers to share. I wish there was something to really do about it.[3] In the meantime, we stay positive! We talk, confide, and laugh. I just want my sister to be happy.

Me with Xhuli, the sister I never knew I needed


[1] Sister-in-laws are a different story. My brother chose a good one.

[2] One-rings are great! If you don’t want to make/pay for an actual call, you just one-ring someone. They one-ring you back, and it is the equivalent to saying “Hi, I’m thinking about you!” It can also be used to notify someone that you have arrived or the answer to his/her text is “yes.”

[3] I’ve tried talking to her parents. I have encouraged her to talk to her parents. Supposedly, this is a “problem without a solution.”

No comments:

Post a Comment