For 15 days I was in Crystal Lake, IL, to celebrate my brother and new sister-in-law’s wedding.
I LOVED being home. There were so many things I had missed that I got to experience:
- Public transportation that wasn’t a death-defying bus or van trip: Chicago Metra trains are AWESOME.
- Driving: While I would never want to commute hours to work by car or even drive to have to get to a grocery store, getting away in a private vehicle was a great thing.
- Eavesdropping: My Shqip is good but not so good that I can pick up tidbits of conversation when I walk down the street which can be isolating. I got to be as nosy as I wanted in America!
- Feeling 1000% comfortable: I got to be back in my Midwestern America culture with the people I care about the most. In connection with the point above, it felt great to completely understand everything that was going on around me.
- Calling on the telephone and not worrying how much Leke I had on it
- Food! I had 3 chicken salad sandwiches on a plain bagel from Panera because I could. I ate some real cheeseburgers and enough Hersey’s Kisses to last a while (thanks, Mom!). Sadly, Taco Bell didn’t do much for my stomach, but I’ll build my resistance back soon.
- HGTV: LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of watching people buy and rent houses...loved it!
- Target: ‘nuf said
- I almost asked Alia if I could throw toilet paper in her toilet. I got half-way back down the hall to ask her when I realized that question didn’t apply in the city of Chicago.
- I was asked a yes/no question, and I sat there paralyzed, not remembering which way I should shake my head. (Remember, in Albania, a “no” shake is an American “yes.”)
- People spoke to me in Spanish, and I replied in Albanian…sure, like that helps.
- One of the groomsmen gave me a kiss on the cheek, and I turned it into a double-kiss, Albanian style. And that was the one trait I did NOT want to pick up! (See blog post 10-Jan-11, point 5)
While I can’t say yet that I’m LOVING being back in Albania, I’m sure after a few days of a regular schedule I will be fine. It has been nice to see Albanian friends, and I am looking forward to seeing my American PCVs friends, too!
I have less than one year left, and I am determined to enjoy my Albanian home as much as possible before I go!
I'm sure you'll be homesick for a while, but it'll get better. And while I'm sad you won't be able to be in the States for my wedding, it is exciting that I'll be able to visit you in Albania!
ReplyDelete