Mom encouraged me to write another post, so here one is!
My recent lack of posting is not because things aren’t happening. October has been as eventful as September. Things are definitely picking up at work and socially though sometimes not always for the best. I think the lack of writing is that it is all becoming so normal now, and I don’t know when an event is something to “write home about.” But here we go!
Things I am crazy about in Albania
- The people. From my neighbor/co-worker who is constantly looking out for me (and has the CUTEST grandson), to my other co-worker who gives me whatever chocolate he has, to my new gal-pals with whom I talk about boys and go out to lunch, to my mayor who hugs me each time he sees me, to the dyqan owner who greets me every time I pass, I know I am surrounded by good and caring people.
- The parties. So many things are cause for celebration. For example, after the final night of Fier’s 9th Annual “Apolon” Theater Festival, I attended the after party. It was nice to be with people from work, meet some famous Albanian actors, dance a little bit, and start feeling like I am with friends. I have been to quite a few parties since being here; I will return to the US and wonder where my social life went!
- Fresh produce. It is currently pomegranate season, and I am in love! While I still opt for pasta and cereal for most meals, the availability and the low cost of fruits and especially veggies is tempting.
- Public transportation. I can travel anywhere in Albania for not that much. 500 leke (about $5) will get me to and from Tirana (140 miles total) in 5 hours. Think about traveling in Chicago: how far could I get on a bus for $5?
- The diversity of projects to work on. We are writing a grant to help us better manage the theater, I translate more stuff than I like to mention, still working on the sign project, and planning a Halloween event and kindergarten art activities.
Things that drive me crazy in Albania
- Pace. I have yet to find an Albanian woman who walks as fast as I do.
- Pace. I think sometimes that could write some of these projects much faster on my own. However, that isn’t my job. I help other people do their jobs, maybe adding in a few ideas and increasing the efficiency of the work being done. I just keep reminding myself this and taking breaths.
Things I miss like crazy from the US
- My family. Don’t need to elaborate much on that, though I am excited Peter and Mom should be coming soon.
- My friends! While I am making friends here and keeping in touch with my friends back home, it isn’t quite the same as watching HGTV with Alia.
- Taco Bell. Chris (my site mate) had an activity between his high school in MD and the high school he works at here. One of the questions the kids asked back and forth was about fast food. Flamur (now another vice mayor) who is recently back from the US was there, and I asked him if he had gone to Taco Bell. He said yes! Ah, it had been a while since I was that jealous!
- More things. But I won’t list them because it is better not to dwell on them!
And my usual count-down-self can’t forget to add in:
We are coming up at 7 months in Albania. Crazy! This puts me at over than one quarter done, and I just can’t get over that!
Hey, Susan. Great to hear that you like Albania, my country. I sent you an email in Linkedin. Let's chat.
ReplyDeleteSabina
Good blog, Susan! As a mature American retiree of Albanian descent, who spends quite a bit of time in Tirana on a regular basis, I always enjoy reading about newcomers' experiences here. Loved your summary of likes and dislikes. Keep up, the good work and keep enjoying yourself. Am also on LinkedIn, and, doing some volunteer work on my own for a good cause I've had in mind most of my life. Who knows... may be we can even meet some day in Tirana. Meantime, best to you in your all yourt endeavors.
ReplyDelete