Seriously...it was. On 1 September, the Bashkia was FULL of people, I was busy with work, AND the weather cooled down to where I didn't need my fan or to sleep with frozen water bottles.* It was a MARVELOUS day, and those are nice to have!
In work news:
•We are working on a project to number doors, put signs on doors, and build a main directory for the Bashkia. While it is a simple project, I hope it will do a lot for the organization and professionalism of the Bashkia. The project has kept me busy and has forced me to work with lots of people and get over my turp (shyness).**
•Flori, my co-worker (the one who lived in the US for 6 years), was promoted to one of the three vice-mayor positions. It is a BIG deal to everyone, and we are all SO proud of him. People ask me if I am mĂ«rzitur (worried/sad/nervous/upset…that word runs the gambit), but I’m not. As much as Flori and I have become friends, he is really only 2 floors down and will be working on new projects with which I hope to help.
•I am just so HAPPY that everyone is BACK! I still find myself alone in my office sometimes, but I think I’ll just have to get over that.
In fun news:
• I spent 3 days at the Ksamil beach with some wonderful co-Volunteers/friends. While the weather wasn’t quite beachy enough, I had a really great time. I also got to wear socks, and that made me really happy.***
• There was no work Thursday because it was Big Bajram, a Muslim holiday. Klodi told me that we should have “fun” because we always work so hard. I really adore her (as I adore most women I work with here), and it is nice to have a good friend who invites me for things.****
• I got to see an opera at Apolonia and an art presentation at the Byllis Theater. It is kind of fun to attend these events in Fier with my co-workers. I have always enjoyed cultural activities, and I’m learning to still enjoy them even when I understand almost nothing.
• I will be attending wedding no. 2 tomorrow. Let’s hope it isn’t till 5:30am!
• Mom and Peter intend to arrive in November, with Dad coming later in Februrary. Get excited!
Let's hope September keeps this good stuff up!
*I think I might move to Siberia. I'm a MUCH happier person when I'm not hot!
** Here, turp means both shy and shameful. I don’t know how I feel about that combination.
***Refer to Siberia comment.
****I’ve been making more friends, but I usually do the inviting. Therefore, being invited is extra special.


No comments:
Post a Comment