Sunday, March 28, 2010

First pictures

This is the back-side of my house. See Gjushi (Grandfather) walking from the house? I really like him! This was the day that I helped to turn over dirt in the field to plant, I think, beans. Xhuli and I also went to find the egg the hen had laid that day that will then turn into a chick. I was told I could not work for long because my hands are beautiful and work will ruin them. I think it was still appreciated (and funny, supposedly) that I wanted to help. Also, the smaller room off the back with the red roof is the kitchen. I want to help cook, but I don't think my few cooking skills would cut it on a wood stove!
Here is the "lake" near the house and more of Bishqem behind it. I only shower 2-3 times a week, and the water comes from the mountains. I think some of the water is also retained in this lake. The water is only warm on a sunny day, as the solar panels on the roof heat the water. The town really is beautiful, but as in many parts of Albania, there is little to no trash collection, and parts of the town are filled with garbage.
This is the view from outside my room. Soon, I will post a picture of the windy outside staircase that I walk up to get from floor one to floor two. I am terrified that I will fall, but with everything "avash, avash" or "slow, slow."

Things are still going well! I know more Shqip everyday, even though I find that things I really want to say, I cannot. It will get better "avash, avash." I speak a bit too much to Xhuli in English, so we agreed to talk more in Shqip. I said that in May, I won't have her, so I need to learn on my own. Mama really took that to heart, and now won't call in Xhuli unless I REALLY don't know what she is saying to me. In 3 weeks, I find out where I am going! I'm excited to find out, and I think it will motivate me more to speak Shqip.

We also have an assignment to design a one-day event for Bishqem. I think that will be a lot of fun and good practice for later. Because we would do an event the community wants, I have been breaking out and "talking" to more people, including the girls at the school where I have class.

Missing you all still, and wishing you the best!

3 comments:

  1. Susan, I 'm glad to hear things are going so well and feel sure you will be FLUENT before long! I enjoy reading your blog and love the pictures you posted. Keeping you in my prayers and making sure your Mom stays busy with quilting! Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Susan, Love reading about your "new" life in Albania. Your family must be quite happy to have you there with them especially Julie! Have you learned how to say "knit" and "purl" yet? I'm sure knitting isn't high on the priority list right now! Keep getting your hands dirty. Take care, MB, the Thompson tribe and of course Latte;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan what do you do all day at the house? I am sure you spend a lot of time with your family and practicing your Shqip--but do you read a lot too to pass the time?

    ReplyDelete