Monday, March 8, 2010

One week till departure!

In one week (on March 15), the BIG adventure of the Peace Corps in Albania begins. The last few weeks have included LOTS of good family time, a perhaps symbolic taking down of the wallpaper in my room, and buying loads of...STUFF! Oh, and I've been pretending to pack. Fitting two years worth of necessities into 2 suitcases and 1 carry-on is a rather daunting task.

People ask me how I am feeling about the whole thing. Honestly, I just can't believe it is ACTUALLY happening since I've been looking forward to this for a LONG time!

Just as a quick recap of the agenda for the next 2 years/115 weeks:
Week 1: 1 night in Philadelphia, meeting the other 50 or so volunteers who will be in Albania Group 13 with me; 1 flight to Tirana, Albania, via Germany; meeting and moving in with my homestay family near Elbasan, Albania; and diving into language and culture learning
Weeks 2-10: Working toward passing my competency tests so they let me stay!!!
Weeks 11-115: Moving to a town/village and getting a placement with an organization, living it up in Albania, and getting the most out of the experience!

I hope to write on this blog once a month and post loads of pictures. I also have never written a blog before, so any good ideas for information to post is much appreciated!

If you would want to write me a letter till mid-May, the address is:
Susan Manikowski
Korpusi i Paqes
PO Box 8180
Tiranë, Albania
(No packages are allowed at this location; flat letters only.) I think I have collected everyone's addresses, but if you have a new one I don't have, please send it my way.

Thanks, everyone, for being interested in what is up! I will miss everyone like crazy, so I would love some of your updates, too!

In other exciting news, Peter (my brother) and Stephanie are engaged!

No comments:

Post a Comment