Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Working 9-5?...Let's try 9-12

Working 9-5 by Dolly Parton is oddly one of my favorite songs, partly inspiring the message of this post.

I have quickly been finding that if you want to find anyone/meet anyone/get anything done, you must do it between the hours of 9am and 12pm. (This phenomenon is pretty true in the US, too. It is just more obvious here, I believe.)

I run around crazily during those 3 hours, but then noon creeps, and I end up at my desk till 4, working on the projects that I have collected between those hours of 9 and 12 (though admittedly, sometimes I sit and read BBC News).

My (and others) thinking behind why these 3 hours are so pivotal:
-8 to 9 are regular working hours, but people arrive late sometimes and they meet their friends for the morning coffees.*
-12-4 is time for another coffee or perhaps a short lunch. Some do not return to work, so they can’t be found in the afternoon. Some only leave for some amount of time, but you are not sure when that time is or how long it will last. And maybe yesterday, they were gone from 1 to 2, but today, they are gone from 2 to 3.
-4+ women are mainly at home and men go to their families and sit outside at lokals (bars for both coffee and alcohol) and meet with their friends. Aside from the work at lokals and dyqans (small shops), work is often stopped by now to start the next day at 9.

Luckily though, I have great co-workers who I (usually) can find in the office between 12 and 4, and there is working happening during this time. They are also exceptionally patient and encouraging with my broken Albanian, and sometimes I consider practicing listening and talking as work!

My 4pm+ time is often spent, admittedly, too much on the computer, but I also try to get out once more (grocery store, coffee, etc.) and learn one new thing about the Albanian language.

All of this will change in August though, when I don’t think I’ll find anyone anywhere (even between 9 and 12), unless I went to the beach. Luckily though, I will be working with a UNDP Volunteer during the month of August, and that is quite exciting, especially as I think working for UNDP one day would be AMAZING!

In other news:
• It finally rained, so it is no longer 90+ degrees!! (at least for a few days)
• My name is in an Albanian publication. That’s kind of neat! It is for an action plan integrating more women in local government.
• I was told by a 12 year old that because I am single, he has a nice boy in mind for me if I want to meet him. Thank you, but no.
• My two favorite quotes in Albania so far have been:
1. It’s not a compliment; it’s the truth.- Armida telling me she liked the cinnamon rolls I made
2. I am so sad you are leaving, but I am so happy to sleep in my bed. –Xhuli, my host sister; I slept in her room for the 10 weeks I lived in Bishqem (sorry, Sweetie!)
•I no longer notice when my Albanian music comes on my iTunes. I guess I am really integrating into Albania!
•I haven't seen my lizard in a week; I think he is gone!

*”Coffee” here doesn’t have to mean coffee; it can mean tea, soda, water, etc. It is just what you say when you want to go out. Many important decisions are made over coffee!

No comments:

Post a Comment